Information security management is a process of identifying, evaluating, and mitigating risks around an organization’s confidential information to achieve desired business outcomes. An efficient information security management system (ISMS) can safeguard a company’s confidential information and, therefore, uphold its integrity.
There are numerous ways of approaching the implementation of an ISMS, with ISO27001 being one of the most popular ones. To put it simply, this certification acts as a business enabler, as it helps businesses gain credibility with prospects, clients, and business partners.
Acquiring the ISO 27001 certification will provide an excellent framework for building ISO 27001 Information Security Management System, helping businesses address relevant compliance requirements.
The Benefits of an ISO27001 Certification
The ISO 27001 certification is considered good practice for most businesses. It is a framework for the management of an organization’s information assets. It may include things such as product information, customer list, databases, etc. It also provides information regarding risk management assessment. Having an ISO certification will help organizations have a structured and risk-based approach in protecting their critical data.
Also, the ISO27001 certification assists organizations in securing not only their information assets but also their customer’s assets. It specifies the requirements for establishing, implementing, maintaining an information security management system. These standards can be used by companies and/or any third party to examine information security requirements. ISO also established other standards that focus on providing advice or requirements related to other aspects of managing information security.
How to Obtain an ISO Certification?
The ISO/IEC 27001 certification is guided by the International Organization of Standards (ISO), a non-governmental international organization that consists of 165 national standard bodies. ISO also consists of experts who develop voluntary, consensus-based, market-relevant International Standards to support innovation and tackle global challenges.
It is essential to understand that ISO is not responsible for the ISO27001 certification itself – they merely provide the international standards. An organization seeking certification must approach external certification bodies. Organizations are free to choose a certification body based on different factors, such as costs and timelines.
We will tell you more in detail about the certification procedure throughout this article.
What are the Critical Policies my Business Should Implement to be Compliant with ISO27001?
ISO certification is a valuable tool to add credibility to an organization’s product or service. For organizations in specific industries, ISO certification may be a legal or contractual requirement.
To understand and implement critical policies related to ISO 27001 certifications, the company’s management team must comprehend ISO standards available on their website. Some of the critical policies highlighted by ISO standards require that a company’s management team must:
Steps to Meet the ISO27001 Requirements
Companies need to develop a comprehensive management system that comprises both people and technology. Businesses must also have the right leadership to guide the implementation of their business goals.
From the technology perspective, organizations must ensure that they have a robust digital solution to meet the following core requirements of ISO 27001 standards:
- Determine the interested parties that are relevant for the information security management and then identify the needs and expectations of interested parties
- Determine the boundaries and applicability of the information security management system to establish its scope.
- Establish, implement, maintain and continually improve an information security management system, in accordance with the requirements of this International Standard.
- Ensure that their management team is well-trained to handle the information security management system by implementing policies and communicating it to the subordinates.
- Formulate an information risk assessment plan and an information risk treatment plan to mitigate the risks.
- Establish information security objectives at relevant functions and levels.
- Determine and provide the resources needed for the establishment, implementation, maintenance and continual improvement of the information security management system.
- Ensure operational planning and control the processes needed to meet the information security requirement.
- Evaluate the information security performance and the effectiveness of the information security management system.
- Conduct internal audits at planned intervals to provide information on whether the information security management system:
- In case of non-conformity, the organization must take action to control and correct it.
- Continually improve the suitability, adequacy and effectiveness of the information security management system.
Once the ISO27001 Certification Program is set, how to Ensure my Employees are Aligned with it?
Once your company chooses an external certification body to support you along the way to the ISO27001 certification, your team will have several new standards to comply with.
When this time comes, you will need an automated and intelligent solution to drive your workforce’s policy awareness and proper training.
Right-Hand’s Compliance Readiness solution relies on a Machine Learning engine that automates and customizes the ability of your security information management team to develop, store, disseminate, increase awareness and drive behavior change for corporate policies. Combined with Training Readiness‘s customized bite-sized learning approach, you will have everything you need when dealing with the ISO27001 requirements.